The team here at Mill Mountain Dentistry understands that tooth extractions are often a daunting prospect. Led by Dr. Vincas Sidrys, our team is here to provide encouragement, compassion, and gentleness throughout your procedure. When we’re on your side, there’s no reason to fear undergoing tooth extraction. You’re guaranteed a safe and comfortable experience with our team.
The Facts About Extractions At Mill Mountain Dentistry
Tooth extractions are sometimes called for to alleviate pain or discomfort caused by severely damaged or impacted teeth. Our team has the equipment and skill necessary to perform simple and surgical extractions. While we always prioritize preserving your natural teeth, there are situations where tooth extractions are necessary to avoid further complications and restore your oral health.
Types of Extractions:
- Simple Extractions: Simple extractions involve the removal of visible teeth that can be easily accessed. These are most often performed using local anesthesia. The tooth will be loosened gently and then extracted using specialized dental tools. Simple extractions are often used for teeth that are decayed, damaged, or loose due to gum disease.
- Surgical Extractions: Surgical extractions are required when the tooth is not fully erupted or has broken off at the gum line. A small incision will be made in the gum to access and remove the affected tooth. It may be necessary to section the tooth into smaller pieces for a safer and more comfortable extraction. Sedation options vary based on the complexity of the procedure, with options such as oral or intravenous sedation being offered based on need.
Why Tooth Extractions May Be Needed:
- Severely Decayed Teeth: Teeth that are severely decayed may be beyond repair and need to be extracted. This extraction can be essential to preserving the health of the surrounding teeth and gums.
- Impacted Wisdom Teeth: Wisdom teeth without enough space to erupt unimpeded may need to be extracted. Without extraction, they may damage neighboring teeth or grow at an angle that causes crowding or misaligning of the other teeth. Wisdom teeth that have become impacted can be a source of pain and swelling. They can also increase the risk of infection.
- Advanced Gum Disease: Periodontal disease can cause notable damage to the surrounding dental structures. Extraction to protect oral health and prevent the spread of infection.
- Fractured or Broken Teeth: Teeth that are severely fractured or broken may not be salvageable and may need to be extracted to prevent infection and alleviate pain.
- Orthodontic Treatment: In some cases, tooth extractions are part of orthodontic treatment plans to create enough space for teeth to shift and achieve proper alignment. This is done to improve the effectiveness of braces or other orthodontic appliances.
Dr. Sidrys and our team are dedicated to providing the best care possible. They start with a thorough review of your oral health. They will then explain the procedure and discuss any necessary aftercare instructions. Our focus is to provide a stress-free experience and ensure you are well-informed.
Need A Tooth Extraction Or Concerned About a Problem Tooth?
Schedule a consultation with Dr. Sidrys at Mill Mountain Dentistry by calling (540) 769-6370. Our clinic is located at 5000 Brambleton Ave, Roanoke, VA 24018. Let Mill Mountain Dentistry be your partner in maintaining excellent oral health and a bright smile. Contact us today to arrange your visit and begin your journey to optimal oral health.